Monday 31 October 2011

circles

I had one of those days where all you do is go round in circles and achieve very little.  Even though the day started with such promise.  How I loathe days like that.  And with three little people in tow, I probably average at least one a week. The only times I sat down today were to feed Eliot, and the only thing I managed to produce from the remainder of the day, was a double batch of freakin awesome soup.  Perhaps it's awesomeness makes up for the things I didn't get done.

We had a rare morning of back to back movies - this and then this - of which the kids barely watched, while they played between their bedrooms and the living room.  Normal weekdays I like to listen to the radio in the mornings and then we switch on for this beauty.  You just can't beat it for kid entertainment.  And not bad for the adults either, especially with the addition of one delicious Hugh Sheridan.  Yum.  And I think this guy is pure gold; surely he was employed for the parents because he cracks me up every time.  Hands down favourite is Gloria Grand.  HIL-AR-IOUS.  The tele then stays off most of the day until later in the arvo when I need to start preparing dinner, when they watch the afternoon episode.. yes we are Play School Junkies.  But I have to admit, I would rather be that than junkies of the skivvy clad kind.  Ahem.  Sorry mamas out there who have to endure it!!

Another rarity today, Ruby fell asleep on the couch after lunch for NEARLY THREE HOURS.  She has had bad hayfever the last few days and I think it got the better of her.  You don't sneeze as much when you're asleep.  While she slept, my middle guy rode his bike around outside and my sous chef kept me company inside, along with these two lovely ladies.



He was rubbish.  All he did was eat and watch me do all the work.  Of which there wasn't really that much.  That's probably why I love this soup so much, minimum input, maximum gain.  This cracker comes from my fave mag, realliving (July 2011 edition).  I love that such simple (and cheap) ingredients can produce such a flavoursome, comforting meal.  Did I mention it was cheap?  Like double-batch-less-than-6-bucks-cheap.




I always do a double batch, because I find an odd pleasure in keeping my freezer full, and is easy for hubby to grab out of a morning to take to work for lunch.  The quantities below are for a single batch.  Enjoy!

CARROT, GINGER & HONEY SOUP

2 tbsp olive oil
1 brown onion, diced
2 tbsp grated fresh root ginger
500g carrots, peeled and chopped roughly
1 tbsp honey
1 lemon, juiced (I use the zest too)
Salt & ground black pepper
400ml boiling water
40g butter, diced
Handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped

Heat olive oil in saucepan over medium heat, add onions and cook for about 5mins until soft and translucent.  Add ginger and cook for further 2mins, stirring well.  Add carrots, honey, lemon juice (and zest if you choose) and salt and pepper to taste.  Stir well then add boiling water, reduce heat to low and cook for 35mins.  Transfer to blender with butter cubes and blend until smooth and creamy (obviously in batches unless you have a ginormous blender).

Told you it was easy.

2 comments:

  1. I knew I had read somewhere about someone recommending carrot soup! I am going to make this one - someone has decided they like carrots and bought 2 bags when we did the groceries yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. So happy you have a search panel on the blog - clicked that the recipe might be here.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you, thankyou so much for taking the time to leave a comment x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...